Tennessee Poultry Association
The Tennessee Poultry Association works in partnership with growers, producers, companies, educators, researchers, The University of Tennessee, The Tennessee Department of Agriculture and agri-business to promote the commercial poultry industry in the state.
TPA provides its members with current information about legislation that may affect the industry and serves as a clearinghouse for other information and resources related to the Tennessee poultry industry.
Members receive a subscription to Poultry
Times magazine and Fresh From TPA, the association
newsletter. An executive director oversees the
association's membership services and other activities through a
board of directors. The association hosts an annual state
meeting and social fundraising event, which usually occurs in
August. Members and their families are encouraged to attend.
To request TPA membership information e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Tennessee Poultry Industry Facts
- Broiler production generated $475 million in agricultural cash receipts for Tennessee in 2009. Egg production generated $43.9 million.
- By cash receipts, the combined poultry industry ranks second among all agriculture commodities.
- Sales of poultry and eggs account for 17% of all Tennessee farm income.
- Tennessee poultry and poultry products generated more than $74 million in global exports in 2009.
- Family farmers in 63 counties grow and sell broilers.
- Five of the nation's top 10 broiler companies have processing plants and/or family farmer growers in Tennessee.
- Furthermore, Tennessee is home to several premier breeding companies that are global leaders in poultry genetics
Sources: Tennessee Department of Agriculture, University of Tennessee Extension